Saturday, November 1, 2008

Lots of updating – and change

After my relatively easy job at McKinney falls, I volunteered to work with my son Gary for a few days. He really worked me – and we both ended up under the weather (something we ate maybe?) for a few days. He has an independent business restoring vacant apartments to being attractive to renters. While I was at his place I met many of his AA friends – a great group of people, living very positive lives.

After Gary’s I headed to Rainbow’s End, the Escapee home in Livingston Texas. Before I arrived, I received a phone call that a previous offer to work for the Dallas Area Chapter of the Red Cross had been accepted. I immediately turned toward Dallas where I had a very enjoyable week joining their chapter and renewing my role as a custodian of the Sysco Mobile Unit Response Feeding (SMURF = Kitchen). I was welcomed into the chapter warmly and went to work restoring the kitchen’s disaster readiness.

Next on my agenda was the regular 6 month doctor’s appointments, vehicle inspections, and voting in Livingston. Since I know so many of the Escapees in the park, it is always like a homecoming when I arrive there. I did the voting and inspections and doctor appointments, but now I am awaiting the results. It seems that my cardiologist feels that I need an upgrade in my medications – I hope that that is all!

While here, I am applying for a host position at Lake Livingston State Park. The woods here were very badly damaged by the hurricanes, Gustav and Ike, and the park has quite a bit of repair effort underway. I hope that I can become part of that effort for the next month or so. Stay tuned for more news about the life of this vagabond!

No comments: