Friday, May 9, 2008

Returning to my former life in Texas

There were two highlight to my trip back to Texas. The first one was a visit to the Stennis Space Center (Exit 2, I-10 Miss.), where I reminisced about my career in the Titan and Apollo days. I did observe on the latest rocket engine that they are still using the “Marlatt knot” and my harnessing technique which was developed after the Apollo 1 fire.

The second was upon leaving Slidell, LA and driving through a threatening tornado. The rain was very hard and it washed the truck and trailer very well. It was kind of scary though when the traffic was slowed to about 35 miles an hour. After coming through the storm, I made an extended, 4 hour, rest stop at the Texas Welcome Center. They had an excellent WiFi signal which allowed me to catch up on a lot of things and enjoy relaxing with a good meal after the storm.

I stopped at the Greater Houston Area Chapter of the Red Cross for a couple of days and re-established myself as a volunteer. I have taken on a new “career path” due to my medically induced weight restriction. The chapter has gone through leadership changes and there are more challenges coming due to the elimination of the Southwest Area. The American Red Cross is changing nationwide, with the elimination of about 1000 paid staff and a severe reduction of donations. I did finally receive the national recognition that was to be presented to me last year – when I was not there to receive it.

Heading north, I stopped in Livingston at Rainbow’s End Escapee Park to get my mail, do laundry and get my blood test results from April’s testing. Since the tests showed no problem, and much better cholesterol readings, I headed north to OK for mother’s day, by way of Arlington.

My son Jim understands where to go look in the computer and what it is trying to say much better than I do. He, in an agonizing couple of (or maybe three) hours straightened up some of the messes that I had gotten myself into.

If only I had a good internet connection in Oklahoma…. I will probably not be able to get on line much more than once a week until I get back on the road – where there is good signal!

No comments: