Saturday, August 1, 2009

Because I CARE

Well I got everything Cathy could think of up to date – installed the French drain, fixed the dryer, installed the ceiling fan, got the refrigerator replaced – and so I headed south.

The first stop was Dallas, where I went to my Red Cross chapter and did the monthly maintenance on the mobile kitchen. While there I also completed my papers and details about my “promotion” to supervisor. I won’t be doing anything different for Red Cross but I guess it makes them happy to be able to call me a supervisor. Also while in Dallas I got together at Outback Steak House with David one afternoon. He was able to check out the kitchen and I think he would make an excellent replacement for me as its custodian. Of course he would have to retire first – and maybe buy an RV. He didn’t sound too interested though, so I won’t hold my breath.

After Dallas I went to Livingston to the Escapees CARE Center (Continuing Assistance for Retired Escapees). It is staffed by volunteers and in the summer it is hard to find people to volunteer because of the south Texas heat and humidity. I will be here for at least a month and maybe in my spare time I will be able to catch up on some of the new computer programs that I have acquired. Many of the volunteers will be leaving this month so I may not have much spare time. It feels good to work hard for a good cause, so I am not complaining.

A project that I have started this week is to improve my TV reception. Livingston is on the fringe of Houston and the reception is very poor – especially since the analog to digital changeover. So far I have added a yagi reflector bar to my portable antenna and that has made a big improvement. I still lose channels off and on. I have ordered an antenna tripod so that I can get better clearance for the signal. I will let you know next week blog (2 weeks) how well it works.
Tomorrow (Sunday) I will go to Houston to see Mary and the Ingurgios and pick up the antenna.

No comments: