Sunday, February 17, 2008

Getting Started

This is the first entry in my blog. Hopefully I will be able to update it frequently. For those of you that have not seen a Google blog before – it is real easy to start, and it’s free because Google makes their money from advertising. Last entry will appear first. So here goes – an update on my recent travels.

After the fall Escapade in Goshen Indiana Cathy and I went quickly to her house in OK, so that she could have surgery on her breast cancer. The surgery was a success and there was no indication of any remaining cancer in the post-operative pathology. Thanksgiving time I went to Rainbow’s End Escapee RV Park in Livingston for my doctor visits and a Red Cross meeting in Houston. Following that I headed west. Since I am going to accompany Dave and Arda Tole on a trip across the country (Arda on a bicycle!) starting on March 6, I took the back-road route to my Christmas destination. It’s a lot nicer traveling the slower roads – I went through Navasota, LaGrange, Bastrop, and Blanco on my way to Ricardo Texas and my long time friends the Williams’ ranch for the holiday season. As usual Kingsville (next to Ricardo) offered a lot of activities including bowling, geocaching, and just plain hiking. The time spent with Frank and Eloise and our mutual friends, Delmer and Phyllis Stetzel was great. Hopefully the Stetzels will be better able to geocache with the instructions that I gave them.
Here’s a picture of the Christmas dinner with (l-r) Frank, Maxine and Bill Wiggins (Eloise’s brother) and the Stetzels (at least I got Phyllis’s back)

There was a family of owls in the barn and we all enjoyed watching the progress of the seven young ones.
(Picture of seven owls)
They had not fledged when I left on 12-28 to continue my trek west. I went by way of Hondo, Kerrville, Vanderpool, Camp Wood, Brackettville, Amistad (Del Rio),

(Picture of Texas’s highest bridge, near Langtry)
Sanderson, Marathon, Ft. Davis, Van Horn, Fort Hancock, El Paso, La Mesilla (Las Cruces), Kingston, Silver City, Lordsburg and Safford and checked out some more of the back country. You will not find me using I highways again unless I have a lot of miles to go and limited time – they are great for making up time. I visited the Escapee parks in Deming, Benson, Casa Grande and Aguanga also in my travels.

(Picture of “Happy Hour on the desert in Quartzsite)
I spent a few weeks in Quartzsite, Ehrenberg, and Yuma geocaching and visiting with other SKPs. While in the California area I also went to and checked out Blythe, Brawley, Jacumba, and Alpine on the bike route. I attended the Gypsy Journal Rally last week and now am in Pearce AZ at Goldminer’s RV Park until the bike trip. Dave and Arda arrived yesterday and Arda will start mountain training Monday. Dave is going to spend a month here to get trained on horse handling. To find out more about Arda’s ride you can go to her website http://www.bike4cancer.com/ where there will be up to date information posted. Come back and visit my blog any time you wish to see what I’m up to!

2 comments:

Chuck Frieman said...

Looks likeI am the first. It will be interesting following your adventures in real time. Following you and keeping track of you are too very different things. Peace my friend,stay where it is warm...

Chuck

The Paces Sue and Ken said...

Hello Tom. Missed seeing you at Quartzsite. I was out with the Boomers most of the time. Hope to see you in Gillette. Nice blog Tom. Keep up the good work. Sue Pace