Friday, February 22, 2008

Paperless - is it worth doing?

Communications for us folks on the road is a challenge. Since I have a PMB address, all of my mail is forwarded to me (unless I am in Livingston TX). When I know that I have something important in my mail – or about once every 6 weeks, I have my mail forwarded. In order to do this I have usually used “General Delivery” addresses. Now the USPS is cutting back on that service. Anyway, I have become convinced that receiving my mail electronically will cut down on my waiting time, and prevent lost information, since I will be a lot more attentive to doing electronic filing than I am with the paper stuff. I spent a good portion of yesterday and today setting up my accounts to all allow electronic communications instead of hard copy. I feel that I have improved my life and also my suppliers by doing this. Of course I have become more of a slave to my computer and my new gmail account. By using gmail I will be able to retrieve my email wherever I am by going to a library. What this means to you, my friends, is that I will no longer be as responsive to your handwritten cards and letters; and if you really need to send something to me you will need to let me know online at vagabondmarlatt@gmail.com or I may not get it in time. All this effort goes to prove “Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks!”

Other than spending hours on the computer today, I did get my tires repaired and in the process dumped and filled my trailer. I have been practicing on the trailer with my Dri Wash and it is really cleaning up nice – inside and out! The Toles will be gone the next couple of days. They are taking Petra to the airport to return to New York (hopefully) and then they are going to visit some friends. I’ll miss them, but I have plenty to so and books to read.
Two more weeks until the first day of the cross country ride.

No comments: