Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Thar’s gold in them thar fills

We are staying at Goldminer’s RV Park in Pearce (aka Cochise) AZ. Pearce was the location of the old Comstock mine which was closed after it collapsed and filled with water killing most of the miners. About 40 miles away is the Chiricahua National Monument. Today Arda and I went to see the monument. It is mountains of rock formations and trails and an old farm. We went to the very top of the road and then Arda left me there and went biking back to the RV park. Here are some pictures that I took after she left. Can you see which one is called the “Ship’s Captain”?







It’s kind of scary when you look up from the road and see a balanced rock right above you!
Arda made good time on the road back, although she said that the mountain part was "white knuckle". Much of the ride was rolling hills with the wind at her back and side. Here she is passing me up - of course she stopped long enough to say "hi" to the camera man. She got back to the park before me because I stopped to make an unsuccessful search for a geocache on the road to Tombstone.
Incidentally - the picture of Cochise Stonghold - Cochise and Geronimo were both Apaches from the stronghold area, which is just down the road from our campground. The jagged rocks in the saddle of the way far off mountain in the picture is the actual stronghold where they held off their bad enemy, the American soldiers. Cochise is crevice buried with his horse in the rocks somewhere nearby according to the indian custom.

I thought I was going to change my name to Prospector Tom when I bit into a piece of candy and found a gold nugget. But, alas, it came out of one of my teeth. I’ll have to see if I can find some super glue in town. I'm falling apart and starting to show my age - but I don't look as old as this tree stump I saw as I left the park.

No comments: