Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Happy Easter weekend


I came in to Las Cruces and the historic town of Mesilla in the early morning. The town is watched over by a huge Chaparral bird (aka roadrunner) that I have always wanted to check out. You can tell we are getting close to Texas from it's size. It is a neat piece of art made locally at the landfill. I spent the middle of the day checking out the town of Mesilla. It was the first seat of government in the New Mexico/Arizona territory, which became part of the U.S. when the Gadsden Purchase was formalized in this very square. The “Posta” (aka stage stop) and the old state house, later court house, are the original buildings and have withstood time, with very little modernization to their structures. In the evening Arda, Jan, and I participated in the Easter Vigil mass at San Albino, the church shown in the picture of the square. On Easter Sunday I am proceeding to Camping World in Anthony TX for a couple of minor repairs and of course some more geocaching. Then it is on to Marfa to see the famous lights and Fort Davis, where I will go to the McDonald Observatory.























































No comments: