Wednesday, March 19, 2008

March 18, 2008 - Day 26883 - A day of providence.

The day started out normal – breakfast, dress, wash dishes, put away electric cord, make sure all the cupboards are latched; hatches closed, gas off, and then take off. How come the brakes seem to be on? Oops – I’m 26883 days old and I can still forget something important. The jacks were down due to high winds last evening and now they are bent beyond salvation. Oh well, tie them up and find a welder to cut them off down the road.

After a nice downhill ride, passing the Woman Tours participants, and arriving in Lordsburg, I found a repair shop that would cut off the two pins holding the jacks. “$60 – No way!” said I to my self, and I left to do a ghost town geocache. After finding the geocache and a travel bug that wanted to go with me, I looked at the jacks and decided that I needed to be my own repairman. One half hour later I had hack sawed the pins off and removed the jacks. This problem will not happen again, because I will replace the jacks with the type not attached to the trailer frame.

After the repair job I went to the Flying J to fill up and to do two more geocaches. While there I discovered that they have a new discount system. I spent some of the money that I saved by not having the welding done on a shower (really luxury) and a Magic Dragon lunch. That earned me a 3% discount on my gas purchase. I then spent the rest of the day at Hotel Flying J (free) and worked on my financial records, pre-cooking a couple of meals, and writing this blog and the geocache workups for tomorrow.

All in all, it was a great day – partially because I screwed up at the beginning.

No comments: