Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Perspective

It’s all a matter of how you look at it. Yesterday was a relaxing, geocaching trip from Fabens to Marfa. I did three geocaches and visited the Marfa/Presidio Museum and then went on to the viewing spot for the famous Marfa Lights. When I pulled in I saw an Escapee decal on the rig in front of me and had one of those small world moments. It was Mike and Beth Myers from northern Wisconsin, who I seem to keep bumping into. We stayed the night to see the lights. There was also a British couple staying there in their Fiat motorhome. They were very impressed with our very low fuel prices. He said, “It’s a real bargain here in the States to only have to pay $4 a gallon for diesel, when it costs over $10 at home. Also with the Euro being of more value than the dollar, food is really cheap.” And we thought that our prices were high!

I couldn’t figure out how to get my camera adjusted for a picture of the lights, so I will just have to describe them to you. The view point is a parking lot and raised area with fixed focus telescopes and bathrooms. This is provided by the city at no cost. After dark we saw house lights, car lights, and Marfa Lights. They are very hard to tell apart until you really watch the Marfa Lights for a while. I observed them until after 1:00 and then again from 5-7:00 AM. They look like regular electric lights – but they occasionally change in color, size, and location. Yes, they really do move. Some times there are groups of them that come on strong and then disappear. So far, there has been no scientific reason given (proven) for them. Strangely, they can not be observed from up close. They seem to be 10-15 miles SW of the viewing area. Although it was not a life changing event, I will remember the experience.

No comments: